November 23, 2015

The Way We Were: Technology

In Love...

It started with Netflix.  Oh, Netflix.  You great connection to the world!  You made me feel like I was back in L.A. watching Oscar nominees and catching up on series television.  My friends felt close again.  

"When you love someone, from Roosevelt to me, you go deaf, dumb and blind."--Hubbell

Things Are Off... 

Then I got the DSLR camera.  A major victory but aside from shooting on auto, I barely knew how to use it.  In order to learn and watch tutorials, I needed internet.  Maybe one day? We also have this wedding to plan! There are so many cost effective cute ideas online and you can search through dresses, invitations, etc.  I was down valley almost everyday using the library's wireless or going to cafes, spending money.  Everything requires internet!

"I don't have the right style for you, do I?... I'll change."--Katie

But We're Okay...

It was getting to be too much so we finally caved and got internet through DISH.  Yay!!!  I was certain that this would make flowers grow and would give birth to baby kittens that ride rumbas!  And because DISH is incredibly expensive and it seemed like such a slap in the face to pay so much for internet alone, we bundled it with the smallest cable package.  At the very least, Walking Dead, right??? 

"Maybe something terrible will happen-- maybe you'll have a good time."--Hubbell

No, Things Are Actually Very Off...

We didn't have a TV to get service installed.  They didn't tell us it was required or that we'd need one immediately.  Lliam quick got on it and borrowed a ginormous bulk tv from a friend.  We began to look for a cheap flat screen on all the local boards as our place is so small to have anything bigger feels like a boat is in the room.  We eventually got one online.  

"You think you're easy?  Compared to what, the hundred years war?"--Hubbell

Everything's Wrong...

It also became imperative to get wedding invitations done and printed.  I started to put something together when my Dell computer decided to crap out.  Hmmm... Wasn't planning on thaaaaaat eitheeeeeer.  With the camera and a photographer's future in mind, I upgraded on a payment plan to a refurbished MacBook Pro with retina display.  I figured I'd download Adobe Photoshop to edit photos AND do wedding invitations. Two birds with one stone... but many dineros! 

"People are more important than their principles."- Hubbell
"People ARE their principles."-Katie

The Break-Up...

Cut to the external hard drive... I ordered it online to transfer all of my files from my Dell to the new Mac.  It arrived completely dead.  Did I also mention that it's been almost five years since I've used a Mac and I didn't know how to use it then? Or the fact that Mac doesn't come with an internal DVD player?  I've been a Mac envying Dell girl my whole life, psyched to have something so fancy and stable and here I am trying to figure out how to cut and paste sentences.  I have used up 80% of our satellite internet for the month (!!!) trying to unsuccessfully download Photoshop!  And that was just by downloading the Cloud app to GET to Photoshop.  Ha! In the span of a month and a half, I am utterly overwhelmed as we are up to our ears in technology we never had or that I don't know how to use:

Netflix
DSLR Camera
Internet
Cable
Television
Flat Screen TV
A non-working 500 GB External Hardrive 
Refurbished MacBook Pro
Adobe Photoshop

"If I push too hard it's because I want things to be better, I want us to be better, I want you to be better.  Sure I make waves-- you have, I mean you have to.  And I'll keep making them till you are everything you should be and will be.  You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do or to love you as much!"--Katie

The Last Hope...
Last night, I drove down valley, parked at the library, stuck my computer in the trunk and walked around for 4 hours in the dark until it completed downloading. It worked!!!

"Well then, why? ...Couldn't we both win?"--Katie

The Morning After... It's Really Over...

Today, I tried to use Photoshop for the first time to do wedding invitations... 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Trying to figure out Photoshop is like time traveling to the future. I now know how it would feel to live in a world with technology you can't understand. 

"You hold on and I don't know how.  And I wish I did.  Maybe you were born committed... I can't get negative enough.  I can't get angry enough.  And I can't get positive enough."--Hubbell

The Aftermath...

In the meantime, I am blogging from home and I've taken more pictures. I feel defeated but life continues... And it will continue always for the better.  

Click to enlarge if you'd like...



I posted this last blog as a black and white-- a bit too pixilated. Here it is in color.


A dreary day but everything is a picture if you look at it long enough...  There's so much to learn.


This looked so wintery sad to me...



"I don't see how you could do it."--Hubbell
"And I don't see how you can't."--Katie


The Way We Were...

It was quiet.  We were book readers before bed.  We went for walks in the snow with The Small Dog.  We raised chickens and ate 'farm fresh eggs.'  We gardened and drank craft beer on the patio Lliam made for us.  Life was good and full of possibility... 

"Wouldn't it be lovely if we were old?  We'd have survived all this.  Everything would be easy and uncomplicated; the way it was when we were young."--Katie

Your girl is lovely, Hubbell... 
Mandi


No comments: